Monday, February 28, 2011

An Interest in Cultural Boundaries




I have something completely unrelated to clothing to discuss.  I want to explore an idea that started with my on Friday night.  I was getting my hair cut (no pictures of it yet) and discussing with my hair stylist about the differences between East Nashville and the rest of Nashville.  Much like other large cities, Nashville has different neighborhoods with VERY different groups of people comprising those neighborhoods.  It ranges everywhere from wealthy-socialites, to hippies, to young urban professionals, and hipsters.  However, East Nashville is a little bit of an anomalie to that.  People who live in East Nashville don't like to "cross the river".  The city is bisected by the Cumberland River that runs north of downtown (aka honky tonk town?).  Before I moved to East Nashville, I never thought I would become that person.  That person being, one to rarely cross the river except for my job.  It is like living in Brooklyn and never going to Manhattan.  While the "west side" boasts many luxuries such as Whole Foods, chain restaraunts (and lots of unique local ones too), expensive shopping malls, the good movie theaters, Target; the "east side" hosts hot chicken shacks, laid back bars, and overall an ecclectic community.

The reason I write about this is because this past Friday, I had a jarring experience that left me loathing a certain area of Nashville, and a certain type of people that run rampant in Nashville.  I guess the good news is, that at least Sam and I tried something new.  Are there places in your city that you avoid?

Dress: vintage, Local Honey
Tights: mocha, We Love Colors
Necklace: heirloom costume jewelery
Shoes: Dillard's

This dress is from my favorite vintage store in Nashville.  One of the reasons to cross the river (among others).  Happy Monday!

PS- I have a girl scout cookie problem... anyone else?

12 comments:

  1. I love that dress. Hvae I ever told you you look fantastic in browns? Like amazing.

    Yes. there are absolutely places in Baltimore I will not go. There are even places I will go to during the day, and never at night.

    Ahhh the joys of a murderous city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caramel Delites (they were called Samoas when we sold them for our girl scout troop - remember that?) are my biggest weakness. When GSCookie season comes around I usually buy 10 boxes "just to get me through" until the next season. Terrible I know, but I love them oh so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and you look smokin' hot in this outfit! I love the gold necklace and those adorable shoes.. not to mention that dress is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Williamsburg.

    Not only because it's annoying to get to - despite having plenty of friends who live there, I can never shake the feeling that it's filled with stupid college age hipster-aesthetic young adults. And bedbugs.

    When Penny Licks (vegan ice cream counter) was around, I had more incentive. And once I'm there, it's usually sort-of fine. But I do have a mental block.

    However, I also live in So. Slope so I'm dangerously close to Park Slope proper and that is pretty annoying also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. People who DON'T have girl scout cookie problems worry me.

    There are many areas or other surrounding cities that I avoid. Scary places.

    Lastly, you look so great in that dress! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit. That dress is fantastic.

    There were areas of town that we avoided in college for sure, but mostly those were either areas that didn't have anything interesting or that weren't particularly safe areas.

    Now I avoid what is refereed to as "the stripe" in Knoxville becuase it's full of drunk college students and handsy frat boys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I want to know which part of Nashville you avoid to see if I avoid it too. I think we all get used to our own neighborhoods and sections. I don't live in East Nashville but I love visiting my friends who do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We live in a rather small town, but there are certain neighborhoods I would avoid when walking- even though they probably aren't unsafe I just don't feel comfortable there. Then I feel snotty and ridiculous for thinking that, but there you are.
    Love the print!

    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    Super cute necklace giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Living right in that bad part of East Nashville for 8 years or so, I know what you mean quite well. The main reason people won't "cross that line" is money. There's an unfortunate visible line of wealth in Nashville. I spent my tween and teen years living right off Gallatin Pike and Trinity Lane.

    I'm now living north of Nashville by a bit and notice even here in the outer lying towns there's a big difference. We have to drive one to two towns over or even to Nashville proper to get more than Walmart or fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who's a sassy lil ginger? You are! looking fire my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colours in this outfit. That dress is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, the only thing I make a point to avoid in NYC is places I can't afford because they will kick me out or make me wash dishes for my food and the ridic amount of sex shops... o, and queens; I always get lost in queens

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails