Monday, November 30, 2009

So many projects



When I told my friends and family I was getting serious about starting my sewing, I started to receive lots and lots of books. Most of them were for my past two birthdays and Christmas. Right now, my sewing machine is in the shop (the shop also known as at Sam's house waiting for a part). So, I am trying to keep busy by flipping through each of these books and picking out my favorite projects.

The first book I am wanting to get through is Sew U by Wendy Mullin with Eviana Hartman. This book is great because the authors do a spectacular job making it seem simple. It also gives step by step instructions, tips and tricks for putting in zippers, button holes, etc. I have a huge phobia of zippers and button holes so this book has been a comfort. You receive three Simplicity patterns for a skirt, a shirt, and pants. All easily customizable to make your own wardrobe. My favorite thing about this book is how practical Wendy Mullin is. She started sewing in her college dorm room, and for someone whose sewing area is confined to my bedroom, this was all really encouraging.

Then there are books like the Lotta Jansdotter book, Simple Sewing where I cannot find a project in it that I don't like. Do I need a curtain that has pockets for little plants? No, but wouldn't it be so cool?

Twinkle Sews was a book from Sam that I got less than a month ago. The dresses, tops, skirts, etc make me drool. I cannot wait to get my sewing skills back to novice and kick some serious butt on that dress on the front cover. I am seeing it in black, blue, or purple.

I received the Make Your Own Clothes book last year for Christmas, and have yet to really dive into it because the disc to print out the patterns isn't Mac compatable (really?... Are you serious?)

As soon as I finish this post, I am off to browse through Sew What! Skirts to see if I can find a cool ruffle skirt project for New Year's Eve.

Home Sewn is dedicated to all things beautiful and french. I love the poufs and garlands.

Born Again Vintage will definitely come to be an asset as I grow tired of my wardrobe in the next year. Yes, I have lots of staples, but a year is a long time.

What sewing books draw your inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails