Tuesday, June 23, 2009

One of my favorite albums

Oddly enough, I bonded today with the exterminator. Some of you may have read my pleas on twitter about the spiders that are in my house. I was brushing my teeth, when there was a knock on the door and Baxter going crazy. The exterminator was at the door ready to make my life a little less leggy. Earlier I had slipped on one of my favorite records, RAM by Paul McCartney.

I had a mouth full of Listerine when he asked, "Is that the radio playing McCartney or is that an album?" I quickly spit out the green stuff and replied, "It's an album, one of my favorites: Ram". He just smiled and nodded his head, "Ram is a great album" and then got back to work. Hopefully, as he sprayed under the sink, his day was just a little bit better.

My music taste lends itself to being pretty eclectic and in the last year I have begun a small but very sweet record collection. I have 3 original Beatles albums (The Second Album, Revolver and The White Album), 3 Janis Joplin albums, Elvis Costello, The Kinks, CCR, The Velvet Underground, Ryan Adams, and some others. As far as my digital music library, if Jack White has even breathed in it, I love it. Sufjan Stevens, Patty Griffin, anything folky, rocky, and creative.

My parents always listened to classic rock. Growing up in Longview, TX there was a radio station called 98 Rocks based out of Shreveport, LA. This was the main music I listened to while growing up. My Beatle-mania began when the 1's album came out in the late 90s, but I had been listening to them my whole life. As time went on, I realized I was Paul girl. This became even more apparent when I began listening to a lot of his solo albums. The year he played the super bowl, I sat with my eyes glued to the television, even as an old man, he still has that boyish charm to him.

I considered it no coincidence that in my purchase of The White Album that it came with an 8x10 poster of Paul.

Ram is an album that Sam and I listen to frequently. We put it on while we are cooking dinner or just hanging out, and we always end up dancing like fools. Some of my favorite songs are "Monkberry Moon Delight", "Too Many People", and "3 Legs". If you can find it on vinyl, buy it. If you don't have a record player, then buy it off iTunes. Its a great record.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:13 PM

    of course your a classic rock girl, since you were listening to ccr, aerosmith, the stone, heart and lynerd skynerd while in the womb.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails